Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lest we forget

Today is Remembrance Day, and it was a nice break in the middle of the week, and we took full advantage. Slept in (well until 8:25) took the kids to a movie, hit Starbucks and then I went for a nice 10 km run!!!!

On the way back home from the movie (we live about 40 kms outside of the city) I noticed a road I hadn't really paid much attention to, but it was country paved and looked like a good running route. So, even though it was blustery windy out and cool, I headed out on a new route. Yay, the Garmin was all charged up. I walked the first 5 minutes to warm up my knees because I knew my knee was a bit sore. And off I went....remember it was super windy! I started off to the north and then headed east, which kept me from running straight into the wind. At about 5 km I dropped one of my gloves and had to turn around a bit to fetch it, and HOLY crap the wind was brutal. It was pretty clear that the return portion of my run would suck. Luckily I had my cell phone so I decided that I would run until I reached 8 km then would call Lar to come fetch me :) What a guy . . . . he calls me back and says, are you sure you gave me the right directions because I've driven a long way... hehehehe. It was starting to get a dark and so he flashed his lights and I said I could see him. So by the time I'd gotten in the car I was just shy of 10km.

It was a really good run and I was happy to go as far as I did.
Here's what it looked like . .
9.91 km
1:09:17, not too bad since I walked the first 5 minutes.
Average HR 139 (is that too low???), or is that good for a long run.
Max HR 153
785 calories



Exciting thing on Larry's radar . . . he's thinking of joining a martial arts class. I think it'll be great for him :)

As for me, I'm still wanting to complete at least 4 tris this coming summer, and a 1/2 marathon in the Fall. After today's 10 km run, I'm pretty sure I can do the 1/2 marathon with the right training plan.

Think I'll email Shawn tomorrow ;)

No comments: