Sunday, January 1, 2012

Where to begin?

I see it's been a VERY long time since I blogged, and although there's a lot of excuses I could use for why I've not blogged, I think I'll pass :) What I can say is that I very much enjoyed reading my older posts, and seeing the enthusiasm I had for my training and races. I am sad that I didn't blog in 2011 so I will try to do better this year as I think it holds me accountable :)

[For my own personal records, I'm going to do a summary of 2011 at the end. If you aren't me, you can probably skip it :)]

Here I am, January 1st 2012 and as I'm not one for really making resolutions let's suffice it to say that I've signed up for a race this May. I'd planned to start off with a nice Sprint Tri, one of my favourite races the "Splash, Pedal, Gasp" (it had been cancelled for 2011 due to pool renovations). Sadly it sold out (in just over 2 weeks!!!!!). So my choices were, give up (ha!), Super Sprint (ha ha!) or Olympic distance (ha ha ha! Crazy right?!?!?). Guess which I went with?!?!? Yup, Olympic Distance!!!!!! Not sure it was the sane choice, but nevertheless, it has been decided.

Now begins the planning. I suspect it'll be difficult getting back into the training without a coach as I really enjoyed having the structure, but I will look over my coaching logs from 2010 and use the resources available online. I'm also "toying" with the idea of signing up for the 2012 Ride to Conquer Cancer. I see a lot of cake pop selling in my future in order to raise the $2500!

This is what my 2012 looks like so far:
May 2012, Oly Distance Tri :: Lethbridge
June 2012, RTCC :: Alberta/Calary
July 2012, "Swam the Dam" :: Oly Distance :: Magrath

To borrow a quote from Kelownagurl
"Make 2012 the best year ever - it's all up to you!!!"

Tomorrow is training day #1. Here goes.....

A year in review::
Things that happened in 2011.
  • Early in the New Year, I hired a personal trainer, Deb! She was awesome. I had been doing a lot of extra contract work, so thought I'd treat myself with some of the proceeds. It was well worth it and I felt great.
  • In April we went on an amazing road trip down to Disneyland and San Diego, with a stop in Las Vegas on the way home :) So much fun... and I actually lost a few pounds (how'd that happen?? I made up for it later though!).
  • In July we headed out to the West Coast, to visit family as I had some meetings for work. We had a great time :)
  • The Fall was extremely stressful with my work at the University.
  • For my mental health I had to give up all my freelance contract work. Phew! (but I miss the extra $$).
  • I started to do a lot of baking, which was fun but probably not the healthiest of hobbies, but it did help me to master making "cake pops", which I hope to use toward earning $ for the Ride to Conquer Cancer this summer (2012).
  • Sadly, we lost our dear Heather in September, oh such heartbreak for our family. She was my inspiration for the Ride to Conquer Cancer in 2010, and will be my strength for the ride in 2012.
  • My dear Stacey returned from her Maternity Leave in November...she's an awesome gal and was my training partner in crime :)
Those are the main events of 2011. Lots of travel and lots of stress. I note that there is a complete lack of any RACES for 2011 :( In retrospect a major mistake, but 2012 look out because I'm BACK!!

1 comment:

Mom B said...

You go girl!!