Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's working ....

I was thrilled when I weighed myself yesterday and was down 6 lbs :) That's a rough estimate as it could actually be more. I stopped weighing myself for awhile ;(
I've been following my tri training plan to a "T" and have been logging my food and doing the planning part for two weeks, so there you go.

So for the last 2 weeks:
3 hrs 41 minutes running
3 hours 30 min cycling
2 hours 25 min swimming
For some reason that doesn't seem like a lot now :( But by Saturday I'm pretty tired so the long run usually does me in! Plus we went skating yesterday. But Sunday is my rest day from training :) So today I'm getting caught up on house stuff. I also made my second batch of "Cream" of Broccoli soup today!

A few triumphs from the week:
  • Didn't completely hate my swims this week!
  • On Thursday we had Erin and Amber, Brooklyn over for dinner, Larry made lasagna and I made some Eggplant Parmesan as a healthy option for myself :)

Sweet Brooklyn and Uncle Larry :)

I am amazed how logging my food really helps me keep within the correct range for calories, and from mindless snacking.

Tonight we are going to Erin and Kengo's for dinner, so I'm going to have to be EXTREMELY good for the earlier part of the day. So far so good :)


But I still have to make cake pops.... that's going to be tough! I will try chewing gum to keep me from nibbling. (** Update: It worked, I didn't nibble even a bit!)

I haven't really got my act together for my fundraising plan for the Ride to Conquer Cancer yet. I have to make up some posters and a plan for the cake pops. That's why I'm making some today.
Here they are in process.

















I'm going to include some recipes that I've been using....I'll add photos as I make them next.

Spaghetti Squash First I stab the squash a few times all the way through.
Microwave for 5-6 minutes
Then slice in half lengthwise and microwave further (open side down on a plate) for about 4 more minutes
Scoop out seeds from middle, then using a fork scrape out "noodles".

My favourite way of using the Spaghetti Squash is to saute the following in a pan:
1t of olive oil, onion, garlic, chopped zuchini, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, tomato

Then I mix it into some Spaghetti Squash, add some salt and pepper and 1 oz of crumbled goat cheese :) So Yummy! I also found that a bit of turkey bacon crumbled in puts it OVER the top YUMMY!

Eggplant Parmesan
Slice medium egglpant into slices about 1 cm thick (I slice them into rounds)
Spray a bit of PAM into a casserole dish.
I then lay slices of eggplant on bottom of pan, then top with some sliced fresh mushrooms and spread 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Then I do it again, layer eggplant, sliced fresh mushrooms another 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Top with about 1.5 cups of spaghetti sauce (I use Health Choice). Sprinkle top with 4 oz of shredded light mozzarella cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 60 minutes at about 375. Remove foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Makes 6 servings, although I always eat 2 servings in one go :)

"Cream" of Broccoli Soup
1T Olive Oil
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 sm onion
1 900 ml container of low salt chicken stock
1 cup cooked rice
4.5 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup milk

(1.5 cups is 164 cal and is very filling)

Saute carrots, celery, onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes (I chopped it all up nice and fine in the food processor)
Add rice, chicken stock, broccoli, bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Blend in food processor or blender and return to pot. Add 1 cup milk.
My blender is really big so I just put it all in with the milk and blend it up. I liked it thick, but if you prefer you can add more milk, you can also sprinkle with parmesan or white cheddar cheese :)

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

sounds awesome! you're amazing.. and inspiring!