Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New found "mojo"

So it's been awhile since I posted, seems like life got a little busy on me and as such I lost some focus. OK, I'll be honest, I completely lost focus.
But good news, I've got my "mojo" back and am stoked again.

What made the difference? Not sure, but back in the Fall I signed up for the "Try a Tri" clinic, and the first one was this past weekend. It was AWESOME! And that's saying something because for me the idea of 2 hours in the pool, is generally not something I'd enjoy.

So I had a "light bulb" moment over the weekend, coincidentally hours after my first triathlon clinic. It came after reading the following quote:

Remember that…
What we look like today…
Is based on decisions that we have made in the past.

Likewise,
What we will look like tomorrow…
Is based on decisions that we start making right now.

It is a classic conflict between short-term pleasure and long-term gain. When you see an elite athlete standing before you, you are looking at the result of tens of thousands of little decisions that they have made over many years.


So this is what I figure, the small things do count, and honestly I'm not getting younger. If I want to reach my peak physical condition, it has got to be now! So deciding to eat "clean" is really just deciding to put myself closer to my goal. Seems to be working for now ;) And I'm feeling really good.

I've got a new toy, a Garmin GPS sport watch with a heart rate monitor. Super cool, and allows me to be even more neurotic about the itty bitty details. But seriously, today I checked out my heart rate graph after a run on the track. It looks like a hilly path!!!! The system was, 200 walk, 200 jog, 200 run (6 times). But it's so obvious when I was running and when I was recovering. Reached a max 170 beats/min.






Sadly, still having some niggly in my lower back :( Just may have to go to the sport physio after all.

So the important dates remain MAY 10, followed by June 14th :)

Goals:
swim 14 min
cycle 45 min
run 30 min

No comments: