Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How this came to be!

It could be my own unique version of a mid-life crisis, or perhaps a sign that I'm truly losing it, but here I am training for triathlon! And like a true "junky" I couldn't do it alone, nope had to bring someone else along for ride. *sigh*

Back up . . . .
Last January (2008) I was overweight, and by a lot, and not feeling so good about myself. By February I'd committed myself to getting into shape, and not just so I'd look better but so that I was healthy. For the first time, I didn't want to be "skinny" I wanted to be fit. That's good right? As spring approached I was ready to amp it up and joined a bootcamp, which I continued for a total of 8 weeks. It was hard, it meant getting up at 5 a.m., packing a lot of food up and not returning home to my family until about 5 p.m. After the 8 weeks I "coasted" during summer holidays and even joked about how I'd never be crazy enough to do a triathlon again.

That brings us to this Fall, 6 months later and 55 lbs lighter. Where the idea to do a triathlon came from I don't know. I was absolutely thrilled to watch our own Simon Whitfield win the silver medal in Beijing ... maybe that was what did it?? I did a triathlon about 8 years ago, and finished. That was my goal, to finish. Now, I don't just want to finish I actually want to compete.

Somehow while convincing myself to do it, I managed to convince a co-worker to do it with me and then there really was no easy way out! (Luv ya Stacey, and my condolences to Steve for making him a soon to be tri-widower.) I signed up for swimming lessons, because a swimmer I am not! Picked up a road bike (thanks Paul) and got a new swim suit and a pair of runners.

Now, to be honest, I'm Triathlon Obsessed! It's one of the first things I think about in the morning, and certainly something I even dream about. I keep researching equipment, reading all kinds of information I can get my hands on and can't wait to go to the Tri-It store in Calgary.

So if this is a "mid-life" crisis, I'm hanging on for the ride. Just over one year ago I had a major shoulder repair surgery, was overweight and had no energy. Now, I know I annoy the heck out of people with my energy toward Triathloning and this new found "I want to be an athlete in my mid-30's". The lengths I seem to be willing to go in order to do this and do it well is exhausting but somehow I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Jasminn's grudging partner-in-crime during this crazy adventure, I thought I had better point-out that, despite my sarcasim and constant teasing, I have truly been inspired by Jasminn's efforts in the last year. She has met or exceeded every goal she set for herself.
When she asked me to do this with her, I told her she was *#@*ing nuts. In my mind, being a Triathlete only slightly differed from being criminally insane in that, instead of hurting others, one physically tortures oneself in some twisted, sadistic physical experiment.

Anyhow, I had my own vague fitness goals in mind (though I have to admit I was not making a lot of headway), and kindly declined to partcipate because it was stupid, and besides, I didn't have a bike. Well, that evening after work (and completely out of the blue) my husband came home with a brand-new
mountain bike.

"OK, Ok, I can take a freakin' hint," I thought to myself, and the next day I told Jasminn that I would accept her ridiculous challenge. Now, 5 weeks into our training, I am completely psyched about the whole thing. I am noticing small improvements every week, and I LOVE that i'm losing weight, feeling great about myself, blah blah.

Jasminn is an excellent motivator, and I think we make a good team because she is infinately positive, and I keep her grounded by insisting that we not become fitness assholes.

In any case, both of us like a challenge, and I think that will contribute to success come spring.