Thursday, January 7, 2010

So much to learn. (serious stuff)

I think an important part of being human is learning. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes. Mistakes like, not forgetting to charge your ipod before a long hard workout. Like remembering to double check the am/pm settings on your alarm clock. Like learning to trust your coaches instructions. All things I've recently re-learned the importance of. I've also learned that using the word "learnt" can really annoy dear friends :)

I'd like to think that as we learn lessons we grow, and that we'll do our best to improve. This is turning out to be far more deep than I had intended. So let me explain...recently my training instructions have included intervals and some long runs which require me to bring my heart rate quite low to the point where I have to walk, just to bring it back up again. Of course I wasn't happy and did a fair bit of grumbling because I'm from the school of "work hard for good results....work really really hard". If you aren't almost falling over in a pool of your own sweat.... you must not have worked hard enough. Now I'm not saying that I would always work out at that intensity (if I always had, I'd not be in this predicament right?!?!), but I like to push. I've been known to say/think... just one more km (or 3 or 5 more kms, and so on), just one more set, one really hard circuit. I like the feeling of absolutely draining the tank, when I have that feeling, I know I left it all out there and that I worked out hard. I guess I'm a bit "touched".

I understand the principle of interval training, but until today, I didn't really understand (an expert I'm not) the principle of anaerobic thresholds. This is new learning for sure, and tomorrow I have a follow up appointment to go over, in detail (I hope) my fitness testing results, and get the real meaning behind the numbers. I love numbers, I like to "obsess" about the little details, so I still can't quite wrap my head around how I can get better by being slower in my training. Anyone that knows me, would agree I like the numbers.... they totally motivate me. (Can you imagine the day I discovered I could plot out, online, an animated map of my run/ride from my Garmin??!?!?)

I'm pretty sure it is this type of detail that attracts me to multi-sport. I like the challenge, how far can I push. I want to be good. I want to be good "so bad" that I'll even walk a recovery interval on the treadmill, *sigh* if I must.

I'll also be getting some sport nutritional guidance, hopefully I can focus on reducing my % body fat to improve my VO2max score :)

No comments: